Re: Engine cooling fan won't turn off, even when engine is turned off

1,280

Asked by Jan 30, 2014 at 05:19 PM about the 1999 Volkswagen Jetta TDi Turbodiesel

I was wondering if anyone knows why the engine cooling fan does not go off when you turn engine off. We had to pull the fuse that is under hood on top of battery. Once we pulled it, it went off, but when we put it back in the fan started up again. Any and all replies would be greatly appreciated.

1,280

It is a 1999 Jetta TDI

8,025

Try the cooling fan switch. It's number 24 in the picture.

8,025

There is also a module that controls the fan. See the link: http://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/88436/were+is+the+fan+relay+on+a+2000+vw+jetta

8,025

The module is quite expensive, but I found them cheaper on eBay.

1,280

Thank you.. do you have a part number? Also, is it something we can change out ourselves? looks kinda complicated.

1,280

opps... I see the part number now. But still would like to know if this is something we can do ourselves? You seem pretty knowledgeable on this, ty.

1,280

okay.... talked with my husband and the link you provided seems to be for a fan that is inoperable.. our fan works it just will not shut off when you turn the ignition key off... we had to go under the hood and on top of the battery is a box that has fuses in it.. we took the fuse out and the fan stopped turning... we put the fuse back in and it started up again... ty

8,025

Look for this under the hood, near the cooling fan (see the link). Tap on it with a screwdriver handle, and see if the fan shuts off. http://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net/igi/XbD1JcNwbHgRnN4b.standard

8,025

If you found the fan module under the hood, and the fan shut off when you tapped on the module, you will need a new module. See the following link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fan-Control-Unit-w-14-Pins-Fits-1999-Volkswagen-Beetle-Golf-Jetta-/350659367874?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1999|Model%3AJetta&hash=item51a4ed53c2&vxp=mtr

8,025

The fan switch can be purchased at most auto parts stores. I found the above fan switch at autozone, and was listed for $12.99. The fan control module I found on eBay, but you can shop around.

8,025

Don't go by part numbers you see in pictures, as they vary by manufacturer. When shopping for parts, you must go by year, make, model, and engine.

8,025

If you feel that some of this is beyond your scope of repair capability, don't bother with it. Take it in for repair. At least you now have a general idea of what the problem may be when communicating with your mechanic. I doubt they will find the fan control module for $19.99, though (that's eBay). When I searched auto parts stores, it was more to the tune of about $180. Why the difference? I have no clue. I have never seen such a cost gap on something like this. I know the eBay part is not a VW factory part, but neither is the one from an auto parts store.

8,025

If you attempt any of this,....KEEP YOUR HANDS AWAY FROM THE COOLING FAN, whether it is off or on.

8,025

The only time it is safe to work on the fan, is with the negative battery cable disconnected from the battery terminal.

645

If the fan switches off by itself after about 10 minutes, it is working properly. MK4 (1999-2004.5) VWs have an after run feature to cool the engine after shut down if the coolant temperature is too high.

1,280

You have been quite helpful... and I thank you for the time you spent in answering my question... My husband started car up this morning, had to take dog to vet, emergency, and he was expecting to have it run while in the vet office and it actually shut off. So I am wondering if it was just because we had a snow storm yesterday. I will keep all this information if it happens to happens again. Thank you both for the help.

8,025

Your welcome. Definitely hold on to the info. The fan can run after the engine shuts off, but I've read about failures where the fan keeps running until the battery is dead. A sticking relay or switch, can jar itself loose while driving. But if it sticks once, it will likely do it again. You might not have given it enough time to shut off,.... on the other hand, keep an eye on it.

1,280

Yeah, we will keep an eye on it. I think we gave it enough time, it was on for over an hour. :) Thanks again.. My husband did take it to the shop to have someone look at it, the estimate was.. to have both the switch and module fixed it would be $485.00 - $55.12 for the switch and $305 for the module plus labor and tax, for both. Ouch!!!! I am hoping if it happens again and with the info you helped with this would be something we could fix ourselves. So, again, thank you very much. :) We bought this car for the gas mileage and it seems to be nit picking us with lots of little stuff... the gas gauge works when it wants to.. no dome lights.. radio has very poor reception. I think the dome lights is from someone putting in the after market radio and something was screwed up. Hopefully we can get it all figured out... will have to try to fix the antenna, that looks like it is broken off, so that might be the problem with the poor reception too. Blah... I love the car, but not the little quirks it has.

1,280

Do you know that best site to get parts, like a replacement antenna? thanks

8,025

Try rockauto.com . They have very good pricing. My 2 other main online sources for parts are eBay.com and Amazon.com . If you don't mind used parts http://www.goodparts.co has great prices, and provides low priced shipping.

Best Answer Mark helpful
1,280

I have another question for you.... I am going to replace the one module for the fan,... it got stuck again and stayed on all night without us knowing and drained out battery.. it didn't come on right away when we turned off car, sometime in the night, so I think it is best to replace it... what is the other switch I should change to make sure it doesn't happen again. Appreciate your help.

1,280

Oh... one more... you gave a diagram of where the switch was, number 24... do you have a diagram of where the module is? I think I might as well just replace both while the car is in the shop for wheel barring replacement. :( always something. ugh!!!

1,280

on a roll here.... is there a part that would fix the fuel gauge not working well. and, do you think it is possible the dome lights don't work because someone put an after market radio in the car, which also doesn't work well, very poor reception,, but that could be the antenna being broken off. :)

645

Aftermarket head units and VWs are a very bad combo. They cause all kinds of problems electrically. Not 100% sure, but the aftermaket radio is definitely a suspect.

1,280

thank you... when it warms up here I will definitely be taking it out.

10

All of these answers and none of them explain why. The reason the fan stays on is to prevent heat soak. Google Heat soak for what it is. There are some very good explainations on google

40

Save yourself headaches and ck fuse #16, the switch and the module are fine.

8,025

If you don't have that module under the hood, or the fan didn't shut off,... find the cooling fan switch, it's item 24 on the diagram on my post far above, screwed into the radiator between the upper and lower radiator hoses. It looks like the picture below. Unplug the switch. If the fan shuts off, you need a new switch.

20

So if you unplug the cooling fan switch and the fans continue to run, any suggestions what might be next to check?

20

I have the same problem with my Golf MKIII, my radiator fan won't switch off even after the engine is off, i have changed fan switch 3times, even replaced a new thermostat but the problem persists.plz help.

under the throttle body there is a switch that died in 'on' position. pull the plug and replace it

the blue switch under the throttle body failed in 'on' position. replace it.

20

Thank you for the suggestion, by the way i tried that but found out that the problem was the fan switch, so i had to replace it again after having found out that the one i bought was faulty from the shop. Thanks once again.

IF IT IS A TDI diesel, The fan can run up to 20 min after shutting off car at times if in regen mode. This is a cycle that occurs intermittantly to clean your diesel particulate filter. This operation can be compaired to an ovens self cleaning feature. It creates a very high temperature to burn of particulates. When done the fan MUST keep running until the eng temp lowers to a safe temp. Just a thought as I worked at VW and more cars came into our serv dept with this normal operation. People just had no idea.

20

When are the cooling fans suppose to cone on ? I replaced mine and i have to put my A/C on in order for it to work

50

Hello everybody, I have problems with my Jetta SE 2011, the engine cooling fan does not go off when you turn engine off. I have to disconnect the battery for turn off the fan. I don't know what # fuse is for the fan because haven't the owner manual. Can help me please? Any and all replies would be greatly appreciated.

BEFORE you do anything CHECK FUSE NO. 16 left side dash fuse box. This is the fuse for the after run pump and a blown fuse can result in fans not turning off.

10

Thank you forios and 84X7, you guys saved my day. I checked fuse #16. BLOWN. Replaced and running perfectly. My symptoms were, 2000 jetta, both fans would turn on as soon as you turned the key to aux. position then I would have to pull (just for a second) the left fuse in the panel sitting on the battery or disconnect the battery (just for a second).

10

VW Jetta 2006 MK5 a/c working sometime and the fan working sometime to maybe the relay is bad ?