'97 Jetta dash goes dead

Asked by Jun 06, 2010 at 06:47 PM about the 1997 Volkswagen Jetta GLS

My dash goes dead randomly but especially when I press the accelerator pedal.  This causes the engine to misfire and sometimes die.  I have replaced the air/gas filters, checked all wiring, set the timing, checked timing belt and verified spark.  Seems to be totally in the electrical system.  Any Ideas?

have you checked the battery terminals, cables etc... never hurts to get the altenator and battery tested. cars do some squirrely things when the battery stops holding a charge advance auto does it for free.

1,105

don't check your alternator... what motor do you have? the dash thing could be anything... it's a vw. check your wiring behind the dash, maybe for a ground. do you have static in your radio? have you checked your ignition system? could just not be getting spark.

290

replace the ignition switch not the whole key part just the plug in part on the bottom of the ignition,they wear out and cause the dash to do crazy things along with windshield wipers and headlights,you can plus the new one in and test it before replacing it,because to replace it you need to remove the steering colum just to get the 1 little screw out that holds it in place,but its really an easy job,i did mine in 1/2 hour

1,615

sounds like an ECM too me, if you can get a hold of a used one to try it out I bet that will fix your problem. Not sure on the MK3's but the MK2's it was mounted on the left side of car under the wiper assy.

My 97 Jetta GT's dash odometer, speedometer, tach, would operate erratically then stop working altogether. The problem was the solder joints on the dash cluster's main connector were all cracked. I resoldered them and all was fine.