1997 GLS has check engine light on

55

Asked by May 23, 2008 at 09:20 PM about the 1997 Volkswagen Jetta GLS

1997 GLS has "Check Engine" light on, speedometer, gas guage all going haywire.  Took it to the shop and they said it needed a new sound board at the cost of around $1,000 for repair and part.  Will this fix it and is it worth it?  Throttle problems, suspension problems, all four regulators for electric windows shot.  Sunroof is broken and many other repairs needed.  Total cost to save car was quoted $3,000.  Dump it or fix it?  Any suggestions?

115

Check engine light: most likely O2 sensor(s) need to be replaced. If you're slightly mechanically inclined; it will be much cheaper. Autozone can read the fault codes for very little money to pinpoint the real issue. It's very typical to cars of this vintage. Other issues possible: vacuum leak, throttle position sensor....all easy fixes. The fuel gauge; typically because of the fuse; look-up cluster/instruments in the fuse box. Throttle problems: related to the check engine light.............my guess is it's a vacuum leak. The hose/piping between the air filter box and the throttle body may be the problem, or the the throttle position sensor. This is what keeps your idle steady; currently, I bet your idle is erratic. Suspension problems, all bushing related. If I were you, fix the issues one at a time...........prioritize what's most important. It's cheaper than a new(er) car. Electrical issues are VERY typical for VW/Audis before 2006. Good luck with it.

85

hahaha you got ripped off, take it to a VW dealership or specialty shop. its probably just a cluster or something simple. or give the car to me

530

I would dump a 97' GLS with that many problems. When these cars come in these are the first things i look for. The front bearing plates/shocks are shot, possibly a wheel bearing or two, the PCV system, valve cover gasket should be changed every oil change in my opinion b/c they always go bad. Vacuum hoses cracked, wrong coolant, check engine lights. To be honest i would sell it, these cars are notorious for problems that you just listed and to be honest if you don't fix them as they arise, then they snowball like this and leave you asking the question should i keep it or not. Your better off finding something else.

55

You know, very helpful and you're pretty spot on. Just picked up from autoshop and was ready to drive it off a cliff. They cleaned the throttle body and no "Check Engine" light on. Drove immediately to get smogged and passed. Still needs help, still needs window regulators, and sensory board because the gas gauge, rpm gauge all going nutty but runs so far so good. Took it all over town and still "Check Engine" light off. Going to suffer with car a little longer -- not in a position to dump. (But still want to:-)

55

What's a cluster?

25

Dude mine is doing that too but after driving it for a while it the light shuts off and then i will be driving it and it will turn back on. I will probably replace the O2 sensor this spring

You are getting a bad quote to fix this car. Do this: Go to Ebay, - OBDII reader $30.00 - will give you all the codes and you can clear them. - 02 sensors, pre and post CC - about $30 and easy to install. - I purchased a new Cam positions sensor for $30.00 Most of these repairs are easy, you can get new regulator for your veh by going to the local Salvage yard, start with the front windows. Frontend - take it to your local shop, not that much, This car could ready to go for under $600.00.

30

Bought 1997 vw jetta glx-6cylinder I Have practically restore all pertinant flaws. However I cant get engine light tdont haveo go off. I changed plugs and wires, I is still on. Any suggestions which may work