throttle body

65

Asked by Jul 01, 2013 at 08:34 PM about the 1997 Volkswagen Jetta GL

i am looking to replace my throttle body in my 97 jetta mk3 with an aftermarket throttle
body where is a good site that i can go to and find a throttle body?

here's a five star rated source for them~ http://www.buyautoparts.com/landing-commonfile.asp? version=g1&make=Volkswagen&model=Jetta&part=Throttle_Body

http://www.buyautoparts.com/landing-commonfile.asp? version=g1&make=Volkswagen&model=Jetta&part=Throttle_Body

4,775

What is your intent? Improved performance or simply OEM replacement at reduced cost?

65

my intent is to improve performance

4,775

You can use Audi throttle bodies fairly easily...or adapt a 3" Mustang throttle body for even more options. Check out ECSTuning.com , NGPracing.com, and Bahnbrenner.com

4,775

Your biggest limitation will be the OBD-II system. ANY throttle body change will require remapping of the ECU and the use of VAG-COM equipment to dial-in the new flow. The 2.0 ABA motor is solid...readily accepts bolt-on improvements...but all must be done with respect to OBD-II

65

how can i upgrade the ECU?

4,775

That's a big can of worms you be opening!

get a used one from pickNpull and find out...your cost will be minimal if it does not improve performance...there are chips...let me investigate~

65

what would happen if i just slapped on a aftermarket throttle body with out upgrading the ECU? and is it pretty complicated to change the ECU

http://www.performancechipsdirect.com/VW/Jetta/

wear rubber gloves when you put one of these in~

65

are they easy to install and ok will do

that is how you can "upgrade the ECU"~~!

Do not be afraid...follow their directions...do not take clothes out of the dryer laden with static electricity then touch the thing...these things are delicate...as are most Control Modules~....ground yourself....or insulate yourself...there are "grounding straps" for the wrist that the people who put these together wear as part of their job~

4,775

There's also Megasquirt...a standalone engine fuel managment system...but, it's not for the novice mechanic.

I'm guessing that you can access the back of the ECU without any problem...I'm guessing that the chip you're replacing snaps out of the original location with a pry from a popsicle stick...you cannot use a screwdriver on this...ground yourself to the vehicle's ground if not able to insulate your hands~

kinda don't really understand this...if the Engineers over at VW could not design it to handle 89 octane par excellence...perhaps the Jetta prefers 91 or 93 if you can find it like me MINI runs on 91 or higher ONLY....have you tried switchin' to a gas that's got more PUNCH in it? a lot easier then screwin' around with the brain~

You also can advance the spark on these...7 degrees BTC is a good place to be~ (if it doesn't want to detonate)~

Fresh air filter, PCV valve replace, new plugs and increase the timing 'till knock to get the most of the ignition~ no screwin' around with the throttle, no screwin' around with the brain, just old fashioned tune-UP~!

and switchin' to "ethyl" (or the punchiest stuff you can find)~