1997 jetta gls, check engine light on temp light on, engine clicking sound, temp going over 230, ...

35

Asked by Apr 01, 2008 at 08:01 PM about the 1997 Volkswagen Jetta GL

just bought this jetta used from a dealer...needed a more gas eff car.
Check engine light was on at time of purchase, dealer said it just needed to be reset. He also said the same about the temp light flashing.

Last week temp gauge started to rise when sitting at lights or stop and go traffic, would go down when driving on hghway. Just started to notice slow acceleration, kinda dragging. Engine is also making a clicking sound that gets faster as you accelerate.

Me and my husband suspect radiator problems...any suggestions or opinions??? Need help!!!

sorry to say you got stuck,sounds as if a head gasket has blown.and engine is cooked.so sorry.

35

when you say cooked.....pls tell me what that means...(not sure i really want to know) :0( Thanks for your prompt response...

about ready to blow up.first thing i would do is take back to dealer let him know that you know a checking engine light means their is a problem under the hood,also about temp light flashing.their is no reset for this it has to be scaned ,the computer,you were lied to i would demand another car or money back,if not over 30 days from buying vehicle.

6,975

agreed, they sold you a problem. sorry about the bad news

2,575

Unbelievable !yes indeed that check engine light oh that just needs to be reset that's nothing.The CEL is there for a REASON do not let any fast talking film flam artist talk you into believing otherwise,engine trouble codes start at 001 and on newer cars can go into several hundreds of codes,and they all mean something.Some are more important than others but they all mean something.Did you buy this car at a VW dealer ? Or a used car lot?definitely sounds like they saw you coming. I advise any one considering buying a used car to have it thoroughly checked by a reputable shop, preferably one with knowledge of the car you are purchasing,as they know what to look for,for problem areas.When I look at used cars I probably reject 50% ,there is a lot of junk out there so next time you are forewarned.