What role does the ecm play in giving the fuel pump power to turn on?

930

Asked by Feb 09, 2013 at 08:16 PM about the 1999 Chevrolet Suburban C1500 LS

When I put the key forward I don't
hear the fuel pump activate.

21,485

jog the start position,should run 3 or4 seconds,or get under the hood turn key on and pull the relay jog it on off should feel it click and maby youll hear the pump,

930

Thanks for the reply. I tried that already and still no response. Even changed the relay. You think the control module will need replacement?

be sure your battery terminals are clean and ground, and full power can get through~

930

All that is brand new. Fuel pump is about 1 year and a half old. Just did a tune up. I got half a tank of gas. When I move the key forward without cranking it I don't hear the fuel pump activating. Once I try to crank it, it wont start. I checked the wires feeding the fuel pump and there is no power coming to the fuel pump. I'm just not that savy when it comes to electrical problems. I'm just at wits end. Thanks for the feedback guys. The only other thing I can think of is problems with the control module. But how can I know for sure its that?

You know I learned earlier from DavidH25 that these DO have a safety interlock that cuts off fuel if it thinks it's been in a collision. I knew that ford has this so that fuel does not spray in a collision. press a special button to reset. havn't learned where this button is. perhaps one guru who's in the know can chime in...please~

well you can look at what trouble codes are there. as I recall it has something to do with putting the ignition on for twenty seconds, then the mothership sends a message, don't quite know for sure see if someone who actually knows how to do this please-

21,485

well if you can emit some fuel in the intake somewhere 1/6 cup it should respond to cranking,prove its fuel related,then look for a pressure check valve on the fuel rail on engine you can ck. pressuer ,wear goggles,,if no fuel pressure your here now ,power only goes to pump for 2 seconds if not cranking ,ck .fuse under hood also,

yeah jim, but compy thinks it's been in a collision. got to reset I think by putting the igntion on for a while and noting the codes- should have to look at resetting fuel switch, and will do it right.mmmmmmmfriggin now, give me a sec-

1.) Look for an access panel in the trunk, driver's side; it might even be labeled "Fuel Pump Reset". 2.) Open the compartment and press the red button. This should reset the pump. 3.) At this point it might be a good idea to "burp" the fuel tank. This will probably be the easiest thing you do all day! Just pop the cover and unscrew the gas cap, this will release any preasure built up inside the tank. As long as you're in a controled environment, go ahead and leave the cap open until you finish "Step 4". Otherwise "burp" it a couple of times while you're priming the lines. 4.) The next step is to prime the pump. In other words, make sure there is enough gas in the fuel lines to start the car. The easiest way to do this is by turning the key back and forth from the "OFF" to the "ON" position. *** Be sure not to turn all the way to the "START" position until you have performed "Step 4", at least 3 or 4 times. If you attempt to start the car before the fuel pump is properly primed, you will run a serious risk of burning out the pump. This could lead to even more costly repairs!!! 5.) Replace the gas cap before attempting ignition. 6.) Once you have reset the pump, burped the tank, primed the fuel lines, and replaced the gas cap; you should be all set! Go ahead and give it a crank, good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

21,485

older chevys had that oil presure cut off also[ like an oil pressure switch] it killed the pump for no oil [hay ck the oil by cracky]

yeah, that post was a google-nut crunch- give crede to the contributor if I could remember who, but it is a basic procedure, if not from this source from another. there isn't a monopoly on good practices.

1,635

have you tried listening at the gas cap to see if can hear it at all? if you don't you'd want to check the relay and fuse, if not those it could be the pump, if the battery terminals and cables are all "like new clean" make sure you keep up on your battery maintenance

930

I finally took it to a shop. Seems the ecm is the problem. Now im waiting to see what the estimate will be. It wasnt sending power to the fuel pump. Is anyone familiar on how much it will cost me? Ballpark figure.Thanks for the ffeedback guys but this diagnosis was out of my league.

A loose or missing gascap would give a CEL, but not shut'er down!

mariroger, will goog a price...now-

$85.27 from parts geek. Don't pay any more than that.

well mari- you've dragged us kicking and screaming through this experience and what have we learned?

930

We learned that if your fuel pump isnt receiving power then your control module might be shot. I just hope the auto shop doesnt drop the hammer on me pricewise. Thanks guys for the feedback. We learn something new everyday.

60

i have a 1997 chevy subran im currently working on wit a 350 vortec. iv been working on this car for 4 days ive change the crank sensor, full tune up new distubator, spark plugs its start for 2 sec then dies my obi2 scanner has a code 1351 thats a manufacture control ..could this be the reason why the truck wont stay started..

60

Mines doing the same thing it's starts for 3 seconds then dies I'm wondering why the problem is

20

Fuel pump

60

I have a similar issue but I cut In with the grey wire and put it on a 12 volt ignition it starts but floods but I guess the brain isn't telling the pump what to do and the fuse box under the hood for the fule pump relay all the Points on it is dead no power and ik the brain isn't bad cause I've tested it any ideas thanks in advance

60

for the people where the truck runs for three seconds and then shuts down, its your key not reading properly through the cylinder. put the key in the ignition turn it on let the ignition stay on until the security light goes out. you have now relearned your key. have a great day.

30

thank everyones for your advice. just replaced relay switch and fuel pump but fuel pump was getting power and relay but not at tank. connectors under relay box under hood on driver side fender were burnt

50

I have a 98 ck 1500 replaced pump filter and relay, and still the relay gets extremely hot to the point it has started to melt a pin on the relay, any idea's?

110

https://m.youtube.com/watch? v=PvVgu6E_z4w \ X | 2 | X | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | X / `\X | 10| X | X | X | 14| 15| 16/ ``------------====-------------- PIN Function 2 J1850 Bus (+) 4 Chassis Ground 5 Signal Ground 6 CAN High (J-2284) 7 ISO 9141-2 K Line 10 J1850 Bus (-) 14 CAN Low (J-2284) 15 ISO 9141-2 L Line 16 Battery Power__________________ http://www.youtube.com/watch? v=Bc-kLhYnjLQ&feature=related

110

\ X | 2 | X | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | X / `\X | 10| X | X | X | 14| 15| 16/ ``------------====-------------- PIN Function 2 J1850 Bus (+) 4 Chassis Ground 5 Signal Ground 6 CAN High (J-2284) 7 ISO 9141-2 K Line 10 J1850 Bus (-) 14 CAN Low (J-2284) 15 ISO 9141-2 L Line 16 Battery Power__________________ Sorry bout that http://www.youtube.com/watch? v=Bc-kLhYnjLQ&feature=related https://m.youtube.com/watch? v=PvVgu6E_z4w

110

Seems like harness has rubbed and grounded wires, tracing start ay back.

50

I have a 1996 dodge ram 1500. Have replaced computer by previous owner. Truck wasn't running when I got it. Fuel pump not getting power to it. Brand new relay and pump. Put gas in throttle body, truck runs. Till its out of gas. 3-4 seconds at best. Checked grounds. All seem good. I cleaned them to be safe. I'm about lost. Should I check to see if a new computer will work? He said it has 360, vin number says 318..... What to do?

60

Crank position sensor. Shuts the injectors off when it's bad.

50

It was replaced by previous owner. Not sure

30

I have power at my tank, I cannot get power to pump, 3 wires, will fuel gage have power using a test light, black purple and gray, it's a 96 350, have new pump and it's not kicking on either

30

Someone call me 270 507 8060

110

My van is chevy 02 1500 Problem started on underside of fusebox in engine compartment, driver side. BCM wire connection corroded. My mechanic ran a new wire to BCM from underside of fusebox connection. Body contol module. Van runs again. BCM cut power to fuel pump. 350.00 he charged me. Week later dist cap failed flooding the car, everytime you crank it injects fuel. Problem solved. Cpl more weeks later starter motor failed. So spent bout a grand or more to get it running 3 times. Headlights flash in daytime is annoying at night it stops. Alarm system seems only partially bypassed but it runs fine. Tip... keep over 1/4 tank of fuel or pump runs hot on most fuel injected cars and prevent premature pump failure. Make sure you have spark to prevent flooding. It injects everytime its cranked. Good luck.

10

Hey guys, Having a similar problem with a 1999 Suburban. Fuel gauge started jumping pegging out then to empty. Stopped at the store put 20 in it to be safe. Drove about 30 miles stopped at store. Wouldn't start. covered the TB with hand and it would stay running, but rough. Had to wrap a t-shirt around air filter to cripple it home.

140

My husband wrecked my 2000 Chevy surban 1500 4wd the code reader we have says it's something to do with our fuel lines where can we find the rest button for it

93 Chevy sports car show coach edition. Sometimes starts but just noticed fuel pump sometimes don't kich on. Is it the fuel pump or strarter problem?

30

I have an 03 suburban. Started running sluggish after getting gas. And progressively got worse within the day and got to the point where it wont start. Ive replaced plugs(although my buddy gapped them way wrong) so i plan on replacing those again. Ive changed fuel fump, filter, maf, map, tps, iacv, camshaft position sensor, crankshaft position sensor, and drained the fuel and put new fuel in it. It cranks and acts like it wants to start but will not run. Anybody have any answers?? Someone mentioned knock sensors, but ive never heard of a knock sensor keeping a vehicle from running... Completely lost need help

20

Where is the body control module located in a 1997 Chevrolet suburban c1500?

110

Other end of pink wire from under hood fuse box connects to BCM. Then there is wire from BCM to fuel pump. check connections from under fuse box

110

Fat pink wire connects under fusebox then runs across the cab in a harness. I have a van so cant help on locatiion.

110

Fat pink wire

110

Connections corroded under fusebox and check to BCM. Do this first.

to much ether causes low compression after a while on old engines,not applicable here;my chev 3500 truck wont start-was running fine yesterday--sometimes coI bought relay and fuse today- may installmorro

Seems I'm having a similar issue with my 98 ck1500/ 5.7 Z71 My relay has tested to be good, my oil pressure sensor closes at as low as 5psi. When my truck is running I pull the relay and it quits. This tells me the oil sensor is the fault yet I can bench test and prove it's operating properly. From a cold start , through the working relay my truck will start some times and sometimes not. I've removed the pump and tested with a pail of fuel. I put the pump back on line with the pail not the gas tank and it shower fluxuation between 30-55 psi. While the truck was running I once again pulled the relay and the fuel pressure dropped off till the truck quit. I rapidly removed the oil sensor and proved it again. Reinstalled and no success. Seems to be no power to my pump at the moment. I'm very frustrated and I don't want to through parts at it knowing all the components are operable. Please helppppp