Change oil pump

Asked by Mar 25, 2010 at 01:24 PM about the 2003 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T

I have a 2003 VW GTI. I recently purchased from a friend for a steal, although it does have its problems. The car has a top end engine knock. A little history on it quick, the oil pressure light started coming on and going off, then progressively it got worse. He was on his way to VT and bang engine lost allot of power and started sounding like crap. He then brought it to a mechanic and didn’t like the price that he heard so he sold it to me. Now I'm in the process of getting it back up, i know that these cars get serious sludge and have problems with the oil pump, so that’s where i want to start first. I have the pump I just am not sure how to change it as i am not very familiar with VW engines and setup. Is it in the oil pan? What other issues do you think could be wrong due to lack of pressure? I don’t believe that the engine is shot, and the crooks where he brought it told him it was. Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in Advance

10

More then likely the crooks are right this motors have an electric timing aswell as turbo if the sludge got to bad then the pickup tube was clogged causing the turbo and the engine not to get lubed or cooled this would cause irreversable damage to bearing as well as the turbo and also you can not get the motor back in timing can this motor be save absolutly as long as you didnt throw a rod however is it cost effective no no no this is a crash curse i just learned myself the hard way i have a 2004 passat 1.8 turbo which i'm being told the same thing which i've come to learn quit a bit in the last month and still learning however, i am posting all over the internet about this problem tring to form a allance becuase i think there should be a class action suit filed against VW about this problem for they nowingly and willfully keep manufacturing this vehicle long after they know of the oil sludging problem with no regard for the consumers telling them if you were one of the lucky ones to be told you had to use sythetic blended oil and keep every reciept or record there of that you had your oil changed at every 3,000 miles bassiccly they are telling you that you must use the more expensive oil and you cant change your own oil becuase how do you prove you changed it at the right intervalls ect. ect. I could go on for hours if you are more interested in what im talking about get back intouch with me i am in the midst of tring to take VW to court aswell as Jiffy lube becuase jiffy lube is part of my problem for they offer a engine flush to remove sludge however it is not the correct flush for this vehicles so vw owners beware of this for this engine flush blow my motor as well as my turbo the dealership in respect to vw in this manner are not bullshitting when they say they have a engine flush their's is $1400. Jiffy lube was $130.there is a reason the vw dealer is so much more I can explain if interested contact me. Support@Eastwaytransportation.com

10

i too have a golf was grand when she only used it for very small trips.the first time she drove on a long journey the oil light came on she out oil in it and drove on then the light came back on and car broke down the mechanic said it was a cam box problem and it had bent some pistons i paid 1000euro to get it done but as soon as i got it back same day it went again . gave it to vw who charged another1000 to (FIX) the problem i got it back and the oil light came back on again so i wouldnt drive it incase i done damage to it then i heard if i cleared out the sludge in the sump tray and clean the pick up tubes so i gave it to a mechanic who couldnt open the nuts so he cut off the sump tray and cleaned them out put a new tray on that cost another 400 but to no avail its still the same i should have just got a new engine the mechanicsays its probably the oil pump but cant guarantee it will be ok if he does the work so i have an immaculate 01 vw golf 1.4 with 50000 miles on it and hasnt driven in 4 or 5 years i just dont know what to do now i give up it be a lovely car if i put a cover on it and leave it for another 10 yrs and then put a new engine in it ,,, dave @skitterass@gmail.com