Car issues after battery died.

Asked by Mar 29, 2015 at 07:04 PM about the 2001 Volkswagen Golf GLS 2.0

So I have a 2001 manual Volkswagen Golf that has run wonderfully for me. About three
weeks ago my battery died because I accidentally left the lights on. I got the car jumped
and was able to drive around a bit to help charge it. I was gone for almost two weeks after
the fact and when I got back I noticed my car has been losing power and has actually died
while driving on multiple occasions. The check engine and battery light both come on
when the car dies. I have been able to successfully restart the car but several times as I
begin to drive in first gear the car dies again. It has also happened while backing up. I took
it to my mechanic twice explaining the situation and both times they said nothing was
wrong. I had them check my battery and alternator. I even had them check the clutch not
knowing if that may be something. My car died again twice yesterday, once in the middle
of an intersection while turning and that is not normal. I am sure something is wrong. I do
not know if I need a new battery, a new alternator or if it has something to do with it being
a manual car? It could be something else but I do not know what? I have been in touch
with the previous owner and they said they changed the battery while it was in their
possession. They put a five year battery in it about two years ago.

112,095

Have battery fully charged. If in USA Auto zone will do for free in most states. Clean both battery terminals and reinstall the battery. Start car and drive normal city driving for about ten minutes then drive it at highway speeds about the same amount of time. Now return to auto zone and have them check your alternator output voltage. Should be about 14.5 volts. This to will be done for free. I feel your battery may have never really got fully charged after it went dead. And if so this should get you back to normal.

1,435

Sometimes the throttle body loses its coding when the battery is discharged or replaced in a car of that era. Don't know if an auto parts store scanner will pick up on this, so you may have to find someone who specializes in VWs.

9,875

well i can atttest to what these guys are saying but i can imagine your battery is the most likely culprit to the power issues. Have some one with a volt meter check the voltage while you got it running and see if it drops when you hit the gas. This could also be the result of a pulley seizing. Have the belt checked for signs of rubbing would be best to just straight remove the belt and check all the pulleys and see if there turning. most comman for these year of cars is like my own audi a4 the alternator inner core rotted out and expanded into the rotor so did not catch it till it sat for a while since i drove it every day.