Have been having a grinding sound when I come to a light too stop.

140

Asked by Nov 13, 2014 at 10:17 PM about the 1999 Chevrolet Malibu Base

I replaced the front pads and rotors on both side. When it was apart we noticed that the caliper on the drivers side was seized up, so I replaced that too. My problem is, I still have the moaning and grinding sound when I come to a stop and take off. At first I thought it was a wheel bearing, but that doesn't seem to be it, because the sound is only when your just about to stop at slow speed. I could swear it is on the passenger side. Does anyone have any idea what this might be? Thanks

17,900

Check and see if your rotors are rubbing the dust shields.

if you havent LOOKED at your bearings do so. and it sounds dumb but ive known (a guy) who put front pads in upside down) lol. just sayin. also maybe the caliper isnt "floating" on the pins right. lube the caliper bolts up. check your e brake cable adjustment. (it may be a rear one youre hearing) and lastly-did u get metallic pads? i do agree with the dust shield theory.

180

Either rotors are not straight. Check your break pad clips(the u shaped clips that hold pads in) check wheel bearing wheel seals. If not that caliper piston might not be engaging the right way.

on my car it was lower control arm left side

75

that caliper siezed up...you mean the piston wouldnt move or??? 1 side of your brakes being messed up will affect the other side heavily. id like to know what the problem.finally was.

140

I ended up taking it in, and the guy said the clip was rusted so bad that that it was rubbing. He cleaned it and I drove off with no noise at all. Then the next day it started again. He had charged me $30 to clean the u clip on the passenger front side. I had 2 new tires put on the front and they told me the hardware for the pads and rotors I had put on, where put on backwards. That might be where the sound is coming from.