What is the keyhole next to the emergency brake for?

10

Asked by Jan 25, 2013 at 11:13 AM about the 1998 Volkswagen Golf 4 Dr GL Hatchback

I could not find anything at all about a keyhole by the parking brake But: www.pdfshared.net › Volkswagen ....is a free pdf download owners manual

10

I wasn't able to successfully download ANY manuals. Were you?

Actually no. I just tried. They try to redirect but nothing happens...try this one www.pdfshared.net/pdf-ebook/volkswagen/

10

Still no luck. Either you're being generously helpful or you're just messing with me. I need an owners manual, not a service manual.

Opps, that one said 'not found' also...I don't know what is going on, my next best suggestion is Google your car for owners manuals and there may be no free pdf downloads, but there are plenty for sale...sorry 'bout that

10

Thanks anyway. I tried the Google route and had no luck. Looks like I gotta buy one. Thanks again.

The only other thing I found while looking around is two different things, one says it's to disable the alarm and another has to do with air bags. Are you sure it's a key hole? Dis you buy it new? If not, somebody may have put on some aftermarket device for something

Does the ignition key fit in it? Put he key in and see what happens? If the ignition key is not accepted by the whatever it is, it probably is aftermarket, I don't know if you car uses a different key for the trunk

I assure you I am not "messing with you" I don't play games like that

10

I just bought the car and previous owner doesn't know. The key fits in and turns the lock, so it's gotta be factory. I thought it may control the airbags and still do. The airbag light is on and doesn't go off when I turn that key. Owners manuals are over $15 on eBay! So I emailed a seller and offered him/her a dollar to tell me what that thing does.

Call the dealer and ask for service dep't. If you get somebody in a good mood they will tell you

Best Answer Mark helpful
10

It worked! I called the local dealership and they told me that it locks the center console. Silly me, I guess I would have figured that out eventually. Thanks David!

I found out! If you can not get the car started, and for some reason need to push the car, turn that key and it unlocks the shifter to get it out of Park....Got it!!

You beat me to the punch. To assure you I was not "messing with you" , I did the same, came up with two different answers but we got it

10

I'm convinced you weren't messing with me -- I regret the accusation. The car's a manual, so it can't get stuck in park. You didn't have that information. Thanks for all your effort.

My pleasure.