96 VW golf leaking antifreeze and mixing with oil

25

Asked by Mar 07, 2008 at 02:10 PM about the 1996 Volkswagen Golf 4 Dr GL Hatchback

bought a 96 VW Golf as is for $2,000. Took it to get inspected, asked them to check out a flashing coolant warning light, because the coolant level was fine. They did and told me that the coolant and oil had mixed at some point when the car had overheated. Also that antifreeze was leaking. What needs to be done to fix this? and how much am I looking at paying?

6,975

If you have Coolant in your oil... Your head gasket is gone, If that is the case you are looking at about 900-1600 bucks, plus others repairs... Cut the lose and sell the car if that is the case (just my personal opinion) And that is if your head/block or your whole engine is "bad", Big buck to be spent here, Sorry about the bad news

43,935

Yes, you could have also warped the head when it was overheated, which leads to more expensive work. I would cut bait now too.

55

Hi there, I'm from SA and I'm not sure if your car's fuel injected but if it is, then maybe you should check the oil cooler for the oil and water mixing..

blown head gasket,fuel injection has nothing to do with the colling system.

55

Only fuel injected models have an oil cooler and not carb models. The oil cooler found in fuel injected models has a separate oil and water chamber, so if the oil cooler is defective.. won't the oil get into the cooling system?

35

Blown head gasket, warped head gasket. Sell your car to someone who doesn't know anything about cars.

5

WHY would any of you say "sell your car to someone" with bad head gaskets, that's just bad advice and stealing.