99 lumina over heating.. help

45

Asked by Jun 10, 2008 at 07:09 PM about the 1999 Chevrolet Lumina 4 Dr STD Sedan

What could be the cuse of the engine over heating?  i have had it checked by mechanics several times.  hte water pump is a ok, they even set it so that both fans kick in at once to no avail.  

8,675

temp sensor may be bad telling you it's hotter than it is... Bubbles in the lines or block keeping it from cooling properly... Or thermostat could be stuck...

75

I was a mechanic for a GM Dealership for 9 years and this was what I found. If this has the 3.1 or 3.8 v-6 it could probably be the intake gasket. The intake gaskets on these engines were made of plastic and would detereorate over time due to the heating and cooling cycle of the engine. These were tricky to diagnose because sometimes when they leaked you would not see any coolant leaks because it would leak back into the engine. Does the coolant jar always appear to be low? Does the coolant appear to be dark and dirty after changing coolant?

30

The V-6 is terrible about air pockets. It usually takes a lot of time and patience to get them out.

45

no it isn't low usually and no never dark or dirty. yes, it is a 3.1.

120

I totaly agree with jesse its the intakes for sure it very common on those engines. when you replace them make sure to use a vacuum coolant filler to eliminate air in the system. oh yea if its not leaking externaly you can pull the spark plugs and see if they have a white film burnt on any of them this is coolant being burnt

25

there is no way to accurately diagnose a vehicle without having it in front of you stop guessing and hoping, take it to a certified gm dealer, not your corner street mechanic.

your thermostat could be the problem,also agree with intake gasket hav replaced them to .start with the basic first.

Thanks Mark, I am trying in the 34613 area code to find a mechanic who does not charge an arm & a leg, near me they get $84.00 an hour for labor only,they did not give me a quote how much the parts are, I am an older female, and like to see these quotes. The list they gave me was a R&R intake, Intake gaskets Valve cover for gaskets, thermostat Lof, no idea what this is, also a used intake