I have a 2003 Westfalia Weekender that has a sulfur smell

Asked by Nov 12, 2014 at 03:25 PM about the 2002 Volkswagen EuroVan 3 Dr MV Passenger Van

Hi,
Think I have an electrical issue with my car.  It was determined that the auxiliary battery
under the drivers seat was not the right capacity after it began to smell of sulfur and I
believe it is what caused my 120v power supply to fail.  A new battery was put in line that
is supposed to be correct.  Power inverter still reads a fault when takes a load, sulfur smell
is still minimal and on long hauls the driver seat gets a wee bit toasty on the buns!  Not
sure where or what to do to fix it all. - JEN

8,855

if your power inverter has failed replace it. Changing the battery is not going to fix it once these units die they are caput forever. And how old was the 120v power supply before this? as these units if your lucky last about 2 -3 years before starting to break down and go bad.

The concern is really not the power converter. It is basically new. The big issue is the heat generated under the seat from the battery and the sulphur like smell that is emitted. Thoughts on the cause of that? Most vendors around don't seem to have the experience with Eurovans specifically so not sure how to vet those that do.

8,855

Well about the only thing i can suggest is have your vans wiring checked if your battery is over charging the likely culprit is a short in the wiring or the alternator is over charging it. Other things that can cause this is you may be putting to much load on the battery. as for a specialist in your vehicle there is no other better place then your local vw dealer.