I have a 2001 GLS that needs a new transmission at the quoted cost of 5K to 6K. It has 120K mi on the engine. My question is, should I do it, does it make financial sense?

Asked by Jun 24, 2013 at 09:29 AM about the 2001 Volkswagen EuroVan 3 Dr GLS Passenger Van

It also needs a timing chain @ $1100. and various other much smaller maintenance issues.  The cost is the issue and not sure if I could find a less expensive way to fix the problem.  I, (obviously) love my eurovan and want to keep it but putting $8000. into it is
a sticking point.  Would anyone here recommend putting in a "used" transmission instead of a rebuilt one?  Thanks

3,590

I always use junkyard transmissions because Ive never heard a good story about a rebuild unit.

Best Answer Mark helpful

Thanks Michael, I will check into that next.

24,025

oh man, the eurovan- I was dating a wealthy woman who had a eurovan- she was a love child from the 60's (and lovely, by the way) and she had peace signs on her eurovan like it was an old VW bus- but the eurovan is NOT a VW bus- in fact it is harder and more expensive to keep running than a vanagon- she had the money and after the dealer refused to work on her van anymore(!) she just kept putting in tranny after tranny after tranny- paying whoever would do it and finding the unfortunate transmissions wherever she could- really- true story- with the eurovan it's ALWAYS the transmission- she could afford it- can YOU afford the "high price of being cool?" Peace & Love