Sulfer smell from exhaust and very poor mileage

Asked by Jul 21, 2012 at 03:27 PM about the 1999 Volkswagen EuroVan 3 Dr GLS Passenger Van

My Eurovan has about 70,000 miles on it and lately the exhaust smells like rotten eggs. So, i did a mileage test on my last full tank. I only got 15 and 1/2 mpg combined. i have been told it could be the catalytic converter, E-vac valve or O2 sensor. I would like to find out which to tackle first so that i don't fix something that does not need fixing because since i have owned this vehicle it has cost me more than a "boat load" to keep running!

2,595

You need to take this to somebody that can use a scan tool and interpret the data that the scan tool provides,yes it could be a slow or inoperative o2 sensor,it could also be a bad MAF sensor ,or something as simple as a vacuum leak,which will cause the fuel injection system to overcompensate.If it runs rich for too long it can effect the catalytic converter,which can create even more problems,one of which will be a thinner wallet,so do not delay get it looked at.