What repairs to anticipate after 200K?

Asked by Jan 13, 2015 at 08:36 PM about the 1997 Volkswagen EuroVan 3 Dr Campmobile Passenger Van

'97 Eurovan just hit 200K mi. Sitting out in the cold past few weeks, now the timing chain broke. That's $4K. My mechanic says he's got to remove engine and transmission to replace timing chain. Which reminds me that this van still has original transmission. Would it save me some labor cost to replace tranny while you've got it out already? Yes, about $1K. But the part alone will run another ~ $4K.
So, before I throw I plunk down $8K,  my question is, what other predictable major repairs can I expect after 200K mi.? (Van is up-to-date on all scheduled maintenance.)

32,785

Unless this was the VW Eurovan that the Treaty of Versailles was signed in, it ain't worth no $8K in repairs. With 200K miles on it, time to scrap it. Oh, and your mechanic is taking you for a ride with that $4K timing chain job.

11,495

yep what the other guy said as well. A timing chain job granted will take some time but to do the job is simalur to the same job as doing it on my audi a4. the front is removed the fluids are drained takes 8 hrs. I tell this to every person i respond to. NEVER EVER take your vw or audi to a JOE BLOW MECHANIC!!!! Always and i stress ALWAYS take it to a verified vw and audi technician.there is alot of Vw and audi only mechanic shops out there. Find the nearest one and have them do the work. a repair like this won't be worth more then 1500$ at best and i know for a fact that the vw vans don't have a interference engine so there should not be any head damage. Even the dealer will be able to do this repair cheaper then 1500$.