Looking at a '95 VW Eurovan Camper 260k, 5 cyl manual, no bebuild

Asked by Nov 08, 2014 at 01:45 PM about the 1995 Volkswagen EuroVan 3 Dr Campmobile Passenger Van

How much more can I expect to get out of this engine and what kind of costs am I looking
at down the road?  The last VW I had was a '71 bus so I don't know much about the these
Eurovans.  Asking 14k for it, is that reasonable?

Scott Sr.

For a rare vehicle (with the features that this has) it may very well be a fair price. Try to compare to others offered on Ebay and TheSamba. At 260K miles, that motor is a bit long in the tooth. That being said, if the previous owner was meticulous with the scheduled maintenance and used quality lubricants, the motor may be in good shape. For peace of mind, go to a reputable mechanic and have a cylinder leak- down test to determine the health of the engine. On a side note, if the rest of the vehicle is pristine, replacing the engine with a quality rebuilt unit would be an excellent investment on a vehicle that will only become rarer and, perhaps, more valuable.

Best Answer
Scott Sr.

A similar vehicle in my local area (PNW) with 215K miles is listing for $18K OBO. Another in Oregon with 195K miles is going for $17K. Manual transmission Eurovan Campers are seeming rarer than the automatics. $14K might be reasonable indeed.

Thanks for the advice, I guess it's pretty fair price, although I found some problems when I went back and did a more thorough inspection of the inside. I found that the water pump for the sink/shower, the heater, and possibly the fridge doesn't work. Despite owning it for 5 years the current owner had no idea if any of these things worked or how to operate them. Aside from that the mechanic I took it to signed off on it as in good condition mechanically. How much of a hassle and cost are these other things to fix? Thanks again for the help.

Scott Sr.

Fortunately, these vehicles have a huge following of community support. There should be ample information in various forums regarding replacement parts and operating instructions. See the photo for links to some.

Chris Van Kleeck

The manual transmission model is a much safer bet as it gets older rather than the possibility of automatic transmission issues.