1993 Eurovan Manual Tramsimssion won't shift

5

Asked by Dec 01, 2015 at 12:58 AM about the 1993 Volkswagen EuroVan 3 Dr MV Passenger Van

This has stumped us.... Had the clutch assembly replaced 3 months ago. Seemed fine until one day it would not go into gear. Had it bled, seemed ok for a bit, same issue.

Changed Master & Slave, same issue.

If you put the car in gear, clutch in, start and it crawls forward.

Pulled clutch assembly out, looks fine, greased the spindle to make sure all moves, put it back. SAME issue.

What are we missing?

22,425

You missed the memo- the Eurovan's tranny is Euro-Trash- this has been known for 2 decades now- and at least for the last 10 years even VW dealers refused to work on them because........(wait for it)...........THEY CAN'T BE FIXED!!!!!!

5

Jamnblues, I appreciate the response. I use a very simple logic though. If someone makes it someone can break it. Therefore the reverse applies as well. Are you sure you are not talking the automatic transmission? I am not surprised the dealer would say no can fix. Most I have dealt with work on a swap attitude. There must be a failed component, we just have to figure out what :)

5

Just to add a note, engine off..... the gear shifter moves smooth and short responses. Gear fluid has been checked as well and topped up.

22,425

You are right! I was talking about autos- then I scrolled up and saw you were talking about clutch work- with my shooting from the hip style, it is inevitable that I shoot myself in the foot- but I let my answer stand because I don't like the Eurovan- I did not like the Vanagon before it- and I worked at the dealer so I am not shooting from the hip on this- I don't even like VW anymore because of the latest dirt they have going on- so maybe somebody less biased can help you here, but after all the years of VW's bad karma, I doubt that anyone really cares- let me just say this because you seem sincere- there is something wrong, and that something has to do with the clutch work or the parts- either that, or the tranny has problems- so you will have to keep taking it apart until you figure out WHAT is wrong-

22,425

And while I'm here- when I think about it, maybe it wasn't just the autos- been so long, I can't quite remember- I know the dealer would not work on them anymore because they just could not be fixed, repair OR replace- and a dealer will not keep on losing time and money- poor engineering, a notorious case- just like the latest scandal- if you get it running, just get rid of it- move on-

45

Boltent, I had a manual '93 ant the issue I had with the transmission was the linkage. There is a nylon ball and socket assembly visible between the engine and firewall that wears and comes apart. I used to be able to almost re-engage this in the dark I did it so often.

I think I have to same issue - Chris, you don't have pics of this assembly do you? I was also told it could be related to the master or slave cylinder coming loose and not pumping fluid where it is needed

45

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Finchdaddy/media/VW%20Eurova n/112_1334.jpg.html