My 1993 VW Eurovan smells of gas, though the mechanic could find no leaks in the fuel line. I am getting 10-12 miles per gallon. the gas smell isn't that strong when the tank is completely full. it just started wanting to stall out if i'm coasting in neuteral. any suggestions?

Asked by Apr 21, 2012 at 04:11 PM about the 1993 Volkswagen EuroVan 3 Dr MV Passenger Van

2,735

check the tank ventilation hoses for leaks or clogs.

555

I had a similar issue on a vehicle of mine. I had a leak in the gasket between the plenum and lower intake manifold that was allowing fuel to escape before getting pumped into a cylinder. It always smelled of unburned fuel and it would try to stall when ever I came to a stop. It was not too expensive to repair and It gave me 4 more mpg.

thanks for your suggestions. i will follow through with both. unfortunately, even with this information i haven't found a mechanic in central pennsylvania that will work on it.

I had the same problem, no one could figure it out. Finally just bought a new gas cap, even though 3 mechanics said it was good. Took care of the problem completely. You do have to make sure cap lines up perfectly. It will close even if not perfect then you can get a smell, just pay an extra few seconds attention to line up right.