No Spark to PLugs

10

Asked by Nov 28, 2010 at 05:58 PM about the 1992 Volkswagen Cabriolet Wolfsburg Classic

Please help.  When I turn the key on I get one quick spark from the ignition coil to the distributor but nothing after that.  Same thing when I check the spark at the plugs.  I replaced the coil last year and everything was fine until now.  Just before this current problem the car wouldn't start on the first try but would on the second try.  This happened twice one morning and then in the afternoon it would not start at all.  Has not started since.

215

When I purchased my Cabriolet it had this same problem of a single spark then nothing. I replaced all the rest of the ignition system before I found the problem, but I had to replace the ECU (the big electronic box on the drivers side back under the hood in its own separate compartment) It was an easy fix and can be done by anybody with basic tools. Im not saying this is your problem Im just saying I had the symptoms you described and it fixed it for me. If you want to try to do it locate a new or used ECU then: 1. Disconnect the battery 2. Disconnect the ground strap on the ECU bracket 3. Remove the screw holding the ECU bracket on and take the ECU and bracket out 4. Unplug the ECU and remove it from the bracket 5. Plug the replacement ECU in and attach it to the bracket 6. Reinstall the bracket 7. Reattach the ground strap 8. Reconnect the battery Its that easy. I hope it works.

10

Thanks Derek. I will definitely look into a replacement ECU.