Title

Asked by Jun 05, 2017 at 01:06 PM about the 1992 Volkswagen Cabriolet Base

Question type: Car Selling & Trading In

I've found a car that I wanted for a great price
online. The only real problem with the car is the title
the person that is selling it says the previous
owners name is black out because he was going to
scrap the car but decided to sell it to the person
with it now. So I'm not sure how to go about this.
How would I get the car in my name? Should we file
for a new tilte? Is the person selling the car have an
actual ownership over the car?

85,595

Do the transaction at your local DMV but I think they will have a huge problem with the blacked out owners name. I would walk away from this one.

580

I would file for a lost title. I would call your local DMV and see what they require for filing. Also some states don't require a title after so many years. Only a bill of sale and notarized

580

Only if you want the car.

1,590

fishy story, any alterations void the title..

580

Yes. DMV probably won't accept it.

85,595

It is the seller that needs to clear the title, NOT the buyer. They are selling it cheap because no one wants a car with a funky title.

If the person who is selling you the car is not listed on the title, then the car is not theirs to sell. It sounds like the person selling you the car bought the car, but failed to transfer it into their name. This is title jumping and is illegal. Nonetheless, it happens all the time. This has been a while, so I'm sure you figured something out or decided to find a new car, but for anyone else in this situation, the proper way to do this would be for the seller to transfer the title in their name, then sign the new title over to you. If you purchase a car with a damaged/crossed out title, you might be forced to get a bonded title when you go to transfer it into your name at the DMV. Here's info on how to get a bonded title: http://blog.suretysolutions.com/suretynews/so-you-bought-a-car-without-a-title-bond-heres- what-to-do-next