Asked by Jun 05, 2017 at 01:06 PM about the 1992 Volkswagen Cabriolet Base

Question type: Car Selling & Trading In

I've found a car that I wanted for a great price
online. The only real problem with the car is the title
the person that is selling it says the previous
owners name is black out because he was going to
scrap the car but decided to sell it to the person
with it now. So I'm not sure how to go about this.
How would I get the car in my name? Should we file
for a new tilte? Is the person selling the car have an
actual ownership over the car?

9 Answers


Do the transaction at your local DMV but I think they will have a huge problem with the blacked out owners name. I would walk away from this one.

1 people found this helpful.

I would file for a lost title. I would call your local DMV and see what they require for filing. Also some states don't require a title after so many years. Only a bill of sale and notarized

1 people found this helpful.

Only if you want the car.

1 people found this helpful.

fishy story, any alterations void the title..


Yes. DMV probably won't accept it.


It is the seller that needs to clear the title, NOT the buyer. They are selling it cheap because no one wants a car with a funky title.

1 people found this helpful.

If the person who is selling you the car is not listed on the title, then the car is not theirs to sell. It sounds like the person selling you the car bought the car, but failed to transfer it into their name. This is title jumping and is illegal. Nonetheless, it happens all the time. This has been a while, so I'm sure you figured something out or decided to find a new car, but for anyone else in this situation, the proper way to do this would be for the seller to transfer the title in their name, then sign the new title over to you. If you purchase a car with a damaged/crossed out title, you might be forced to get a bonded title when you go to transfer it into your name at the DMV. Here's info on how to get a bonded title: http://blog.suretysolutions.com/suretynews/so-you-bought-a-car-without-a-title-bond-heres- what-to-do-next

Hi , did you already get a title for it


Thi car is more than 20 years old.If your states DMV wont accept it,you can look around online for a re-titling service.Probably cost you $200-$300,but youll get a title

Your Answer:


Looking for a Used Cabriolet in your area?

CarGurus has 2 nationwide Cabriolet listings and the tools to find you a great deal.

Get More Money for Your Car
Be seen by 20 million shoppers. Create Your Free Listing

Volkswagen Cabriolet Experts

  • #1
  • #2
    Scott Sr.
  • #3
View All

Related Models For Sale

Used Volkswagen Beetle
138 Great Deals out of 6,621 listings starting at $100
Used Volkswagen Golf
60 Great Deals out of 4,771 listings starting at $1,700
Used Volkswagen Jetta
510 Great Deals out of 28,774 listings starting at $1,653
Used Volkswagen GTI
75 Great Deals out of 5,340 listings starting at $2,500
Used Jeep Wrangler
204 Great Deals out of 15,160 listings starting at $3,000
Used Ford Mustang
297 Great Deals out of 40,393 listings starting at $1,312
Used BMW 3 Series
1,053 Great Deals out of 30,235 listings starting at $900
Used Volkswagen EuroVan
77 listings starting at $3,491

Used Cars For Sale

Content submitted by Users is not endorsed by CarGurus, does not express the opinions of CarGurus, and should not be considered reviewed, screened, or approved by CarGurus. Please refer to CarGurus Terms of Use.