92' cabriolet convertable

39,085

Asked by Jul 23, 2013 at 06:15 PM about the 1992 Volkswagen Cabriolet Base

My daughter has a '92 cabriolet convertable with a manual top. Yesterday she put it down
and then she couldn't get it back up. I took a look at it, and it goes up to the center
support bar, then gets hung up on it. It won't go up high enough to clear it. She also says
that the top doesn't sit as low as it used to when folded down. Now she can't see out of
her rear view mirror. Any ideas?

39,085

I figured it out. I found that there are two "struts" that run along the inner sides of the scissors. Apparently these struts like to seize solid and not move. They just act as an assist to make the top move easier. Kind of like the struts you will find under the hood of some cars that are used to hold the hood up so you don't have to use the manual rod.