I have a 2002 volkswagen cabrio and it won't start. When I turn the key nothing. Sometimes it will turn on and sometimes nothing. No sound when I turn it. What can it be?

Asked by May 31, 2015 at 04:47 PM about the 2002 Volkswagen Cabrio 2 Dr GLX Convertible

I have changed the ignition switch and
ignition coil and still same thing.

37,525

Put a volt meter on your battery with the engine off. If it shows less than 12.5 replace the battery. If battery tests fine, you either have a bad starter or a bad neutral safety switch.

I took the battery to advance and they checked it and said it is 100%. I have always been a Chevrolet girl, so I don't know anything about vw's. With a bad neutral safety switch, when you put it in neutral will it start? The reason I ask is because when I bought it, the guy told me to put it in neutral to get it to start. And it did start sometimes. I will check to see if the push button is under my left foot. This car has been a nightmare.

37,525

If that's the case, then yes, you bought it with a bad neutral safety switch. You will have to replace it.

37,525

Oops... sorry, I meant less than 11.5 on the battery. But yes, replace the neutral safety switch.