I have a 2002 volkswagen cabrio and it won't start. When I turn the key nothing. Sometimes it will turn on and sometimes nothing. No sound when I turn it. What can it be?

Asked by May 31, 2015 at 04:47 PM about the 2002 Volkswagen Cabrio 2 Dr GLX Convertible

I have changed the ignition switch and
ignition coil and still same thing.

Put a volt meter on your battery with the engine off. If it shows less than 12.5 replace the battery. If battery tests fine, you either have a bad starter or a bad neutral safety switch.

Hello, You know, not to add insult to injury, but that model has some flaws that make it quirky...Many problems associated with VW, bad batteries, and security systems in general. Does you model have a push button switch under/above your left foot? Its used as a reset for some of what I mentioned, along with the air shutter thingy...another real problem. And by all means, make sure all battery, and local grounds have good connections, charge the battery slowly in the car...and see what results you get. Remeber, the worst letters in the English language for cars Are: MBVW. The expensive Kraut stuff, The weird Kraut stuff, & The Cheap Kraut stuff... AKA BMW, Mercedes Benz, and VW. Hope this Helps, AskTrannyMan

I took the battery to advance and they checked it and said it is 100%. I have always been a Chevrolet girl, so I don't know anything about vw's. With a bad neutral safety switch, when you put it in neutral will it start? The reason I ask is because when I bought it, the guy told me to put it in neutral to get it to start. And it did start sometimes. I will check to see if the push button is under my left foot. This car has been a nightmare.

If that's the case, then yes, you bought it with a bad neutral safety switch. You will have to replace it.

Oops... sorry, I meant less than 11.5 on the battery. But yes, replace the neutral safety switch.