I have a 2002 VW Cabrio, and my radio has locked itself in "Safe Mode". I have my code, so that isn't the problem, but I just can't do anything with it. There is a "2" that shows up in the lower left-hand corner of the screen next to the "Safe Mode" wording. How can I "unlock" it so I can enter the code?

Asked by Dec 15, 2014 at 06:03 PM about the 2002 Volkswagen Cabrio 2 Dr GLX Convertible

I have a Cabrio like yours and the stereo has it's knocked itself into safe mode more times than is reasonable. Your owner's manual explains the procedure clearly on page 23 (section 3.4 - sound system), but if you have your four digit code and no owner's manual, this is how it goes: 1.Turn on the radio, the display should say SAFE 2.After 3 seconds, the number 1000 should appear 3.Use the radio station preset keys 1 to 4 to enter your four digit code. Mine is 0353, so I push preset key one over and over til a zero is in the first position, and so on. 4.After the display reads your code, push and hold the right-aimed arrow (>) - seek button - hold it down for a couple of seconds until you hear a beep. That ought to do it. If it's locked up more than that, I would suggest disconnecting the positive and negative battery cables and touching them together to clear out the BS. Good luck!

I have a 2001 VW CABRIO and the radio is in safe mode and I would love to know what is the radio code

Joao Rodrigues

i have a VW cabrio golf III and the radio is in safe 2, i would to know what i have to do ?

If you don't have the four digit security code which is printed in the car's owner's manual, I do not know how you can learn the code without communicating with Volkswagen. I expect the manufacturer could figure it out with the VIN. Honestly, I'd buy a better stereo and throw that security system BS out with the old one. If you DO have the security code, the response I gave here a few months ago has the procedure for using the code to unlock the stereo again. And get used to resetting it a lot. Mine would freak out every few months and need its code re-entered. I gave up my Cabrio a couple months back. I don't miss its idiosyncrasies, but I do miss the top off on the pretty days!!