Coolant issue

Asked by Nov 06, 2013 at 03:04 PM about the 2002 Volkswagen Cabrio 2 Dr GLX Convertible

I have a 2002 VW Cabrio. The coolant light always comes on because I have a leak somewhere. I just make sure to keep the plastic thing full.  Well the light has been on for two days and I was out of coolant so I drove it anyway. I stopped by the auto store today and they gave me a 50/50 red mix. My car was smoking when I got home so I let it cool off, added the coolant then drove about 3 blocks to the bank. Smoke was pouring out of it and the coolant light is still flashing.

Have I totally screwed something up or was it just so low on coolant it takes time for it to circulate. It's in my driveway right now as I am scared to go anywhere!

Cassie

30

Make sure the red antifreeze mix was correct. Call Your parts store and make sure they gave you the correct antifreeze. There is a red and a green type of antifreeze you should not mix the two. If you mix the two it can cause problems with your engine, causing the smoke. Did your engine ever over heat? If it did you might of blown your head gasket... not good. Good luck!