Driver Seat Really hard to move front to back

10

Asked by Apr 27, 2012 at 09:32 AM about the 2002 Volkswagen Cabrio 2 Dr GLS Convertible

Driver's seat in my 2002 Cabrio is really hard to move.  Someone has to sit in the back seat and push/pull as I pull the lever up.  Any suggestions?

10,005

lube up the track and rails and that will make it move easier- they make grease for that.

10

I have already tried that and had new connectors/bolts put in the seat but still no go....

1,285

WD-40 fixes everything

10

Tried WD-40 too! No help :( Anyone ever take the seat out of a Cabrio before?

1,415

I took the seats out of my 2000 beetle and cleaned up the rust on the tracks and put in grease -- its not a bad job, well worth the effort -- maybe use wd40 for clean up, but it doe not work for lube !!

4,725

Most modern VW seats have plastic glide caps at the rear stanchions. It's important to keep these in good repair as metal- on-metal sliding will cause major boogering up of the tracks. Don't use WD40 either...it evaporates away. Use a quality, clear grease that will remain where you put it.

I have the same issue with my 1999 but find if I slide it while standing outside the car rather than being seated in the seat it shifts no problem.

10

I have same problem on my 98 cabrio, only on the driver's side. The lever, when pulled up, doesn't release anything. In fact it won't move at all. The other seat has a different system with a spring, so can't figure out what is wrong. How would one take out this seat?