top operation

Asked by Apr 07, 2007 at 01:07 AM about the 2002 Volkswagen Cabrio 2 Dr GLS Convertible

what is the correct procedure to raise and lower the top on a 2002 cabrio gls, new car to me and it didn't come with a manual. what is the trick?? I have it in park, windows down, latches open, car running, press switch on center panel to open. Nothing happens.???
thanks for the help

3,455

According to some info I found at Cars.com, the '02 Cabrio GLS has a manual top - only the GLX's is powered. Maybe that button opens another latch or something, but you may have to raise & lower the top yourself.

80

you MUST have the E brake fully engaged.

Also, I have a 2000 Cabrio GLX, and the motor on the top burns out sometimes. In your trunk, you'll find a little black box (should be right inside on the left). Take out the screws on the cover and open the box. Check that there's fluid in the reservoir of the hydraulic pump, and that the screw is tightened completely clockwise, If that's all done and good, your motor may be burned out. It costs usually around $250.00 to get another one, or if you're lucky, you can find one at a scrapyard. If you're ok with raising and lowering the top manually, go back under the cover in your trunk, loosen the screw all the way (It looks like a big T, basically) counterclockwise, and close the cover. After that, you should be able to raise and lower your convertible top manually like I do. It takes a little bit of muscle, but it's not too tough. If it's really stiff opening and closing, you may need to slide under the fabric/vinyl of the top and lubricate the ribs of the convertible top. Hope this helps! Happy driving!