2002 VW cabrio

Asked by Jul 30, 2015 at 04:38 PM about the 2002 Volkswagen Cabrio 2 Dr GL Convertible

i have a 2002 VW cabrio and the radio safe is on where do i find the code i know its either
in the spare tire hubby or in the user manuel but i dont find any 4 digit codes that work or
labeled stereo

60

Hi! I'm a not-so-proud owner of an '02 Cabrio, and my stereo goes bonkers every few months and I have to program it out of 'SAFE' mode. The four digit code is located in the owner's manual, in the section concerning the stereo (the last section in the manual if I recall correctly). Every car's code is different and there is a not too complicated procedure as to what buttons to push in what order, also in the manual's stereo section. They don't physically put it anywhere on the stereo because that would defeat the purpose of the security code. Without that code you are pretty screwed, no doubt. My code is 0353 and I know that because I've had to enter it so many times. So realize it could be any four digits and that means 10,000 combinations are possible. I keep my manual in the car so I don't have the combination of buttons you must push to exit 'SAFE' mode right here, but if you are checking here regularly I will too and lay out the procedure. Without the code your quest will be fruitless, and I'm sorry about that. Good luck and check back here if you find the code but not the procedure -- I'll give it to you!

If you don't have the code you should look up videos for this on youtube. So do that first and then you will understand the rest of this answer. I didn't want to wait for radio keys. I ended up using 2 small jigsaw blades and was able to pull the radio right out and get the serial number. Call a VW dealer and give them the serial number and the VIN number and they should give you the radio unlock code for free. It took them about two hours to call me back with the code. I called Greely Vw in Colorado.