2001 Volkswagen Cabrio Help

75

Asked by Apr 18, 2011 at 12:06 PM about the 2001 Volkswagen Cabrio 2 Dr GLX Convertible

My car will sputter and frequently stall out on me while trying to accelerate from a stop or very low speeds.  I was hoping someone may have experienced the same issue and have gotten it resolved.  It also have issues starting sometimes.  Other times when it does start, the Electrical system will malfunction and the A/C or Headlights will not work. I am hesitant to bring it into some place because they will charge me money just to tell me how much money it will cost to fix.  And they may not even resolve anything.

75

I found my own solution...The Vacuum pump tube was cracked and would disconnect from the pump every now and then which would lean out the fuel/air mixture and cause the car to stall. I also had some cracks in my Ignition coil, so whenever it would rain or be very humid the car would have issues starting and would miss fire. I replaced the Ignition coil and the car is running better than ever! Anyone have any more questions about VW? I learned a lot about VW throughout this en devour to save my car and would be happy to help because when it comes to VW maintenance, you can never have enough opinions.

10

I had a similar problem with my 1999 Cabrio. The car would start and run but the A/C and lights would not work unless I held forward pressure on the key. I replaced the ignition switch and it fixed the problem. I think your stalling and hard starting is probably an issue with the ignition coil, distributor cap or plug wires. I would replace them all in addition to the spark plugs.