2001 trunk lock question

Asked by Jan 24, 2011 at 08:32 PM about the 2001 Volkswagen Cabrio 2 Dr GLX Convertible

i just bought a used 2001 cabrio.  It came with one key.  This key does not seem to lock the
trunk. It won't go either direction. Am I missing a separate key or is my lock broken. If you
pull open the trunk when the car is locked the alarm goes off.  I want to lock the trunk. Help
please.

235

it is probably seized. Put some wd40 'inside' the lock cylinder and see if things start to move.

25

It's possible you do not have the master key, but rather the Valet key. My wife has an 02 Cabrio and her book says the keys that came with the car were as follows: - Master key (opens all locks... door, ignition, glove and trunk), - Valet key (identified by a white double-end wrench symbol on the black plastic (near the metal portion of the key), this key will only operate the drivers side door and the ignition), - key tag (contains the key number required to obtain new cars from VW), and - two key fobs.