Need VW veteren with troubleshooting

Asked by Jan 23, 2014 at 05:27 PM about the 2001 Volkswagen Cabrio 2 Dr GLS Convertible

Just bought a 2001 VW cabrio. Every time i turn around there is an issue. obvious previous owner did not take care of it. Here are some issues i can not figure out why they are there.

Stock radio does not have power nor do the lock/unlock buttons on the inside work. heated seats also do not work. The remote locks and unlocks car fine. checked all fuses under steering column and in engine compartment, none are blown.

Car will stall sometimes while driving it is a random occurence. It will start right up after the stall and drive fine. It has not stalled since i replaced the fuel filter and used some lucus gas system treatment, but my gut tells me that is not the only fix it needed for this problem.

Current problems that i can tend to myself and will shortly, i just wanted to bring them up incase they might go along with the issues i cant figure out.

there is a coolent leak somewhere which i have no concerns that i wont beable to find and fix.
gas leaks when i fill the car up but only when i fill it and no longer leaks after. I belive this has to do with some hose damage somewhere between the cap and the tank or maybe damage on the tank itself which i will look at when i can get under it and its not so damn cold.
I have changed the oil and oil filter and air filter all in which it desperately needed. checked the spark plugs and they seem fine replaced wires and spark anyways. i basically gave the car a full tune up.
There is a hose that seems to run into an area that the air runs into that had a huge hole in it. It is believed to have gas running through it, or at least fumes, which i replaced with a heater hose, fully aware that will not be sufficiant just needed somthing to hold it together til i special order the part from the dealer. DAMN VW. ill try to supply a picture of the hose.

the battery when the car was purchased was not fully mounted it would move forward and back but not side to side. I quickly bungied it til i can purchase a new houseing but before it was secured when/if slid all the way forward the negative/ground would beable to touch some metal on the cars body previous owner did not have battery secured when purchased

This is really all i have to say about this headache of a cabrio any help would be much appretiated

P.S. I am broke, so please do not just say see a mechanic because that would be my first choice if i could afford it. if all you have to say is take to dealer or mechanic or suggest work ive already done please refrain from responding. If seeing a dealer or mechanic is the only solution it will have to wait 7 to 8 months for me to have the money.

Sounds like your main issues are the radio and heated seats. There is a relay for your heated seats. I would try replacing that if all of your fuses are good. As for the radio, on some radios, there is a tiny ten amp fuse that plugs directly into the back of the radio. Not sure if yours has that fuse. Never torn a factory radio out. But if you go to all that trouble, I would put in a Kenwood since you will have the entire thing torn apart. Have you checked out yet? That web site is very helpful. Lots of people have had the same problems you are having.