2001 cabrio battery dies even with all fuses removed

Asked by May 21, 2012 at 04:06 PM about the 2001 Volkswagen Cabrio 2 Dr GLS Convertible

Replaced split coil and old battery. Drove home. Battery dies in the driveway with the car off.
Charged battery and removed all 22 of the fuses from the fuse box.
Battery still dies within a couple hours (12v down to 4v).

Before removing all the fuses removed a faulty dome light and verified that the trunk light is out.
There is no hood light that I can see. Also, noted gauges were going crazy when first tried to charge battery. Reset the alarm by locking and unlocking door with key,

1,655

the alternator must not be charging the battery check for any wire breakage and that the alternator is working or not . if u have a multimeter check how much volts its giving out it should be from 13 volts to 15 volts . hope this helps

I need to clarify. This is occurring when the car is turned off. The alternator checks out fine. There is a large parasitic drain that is not related to any accessory in the fuse box, since I have removed them all and the drain persists. Alarm? Immobilizer? Bad ground?

1,655

there must be something which is draining the battery which is directly connected to the battery r there any dusts on the head of the battery . See if there is a short circuit going on after the batteries connection is there little smoke from the battery when connection is touched with terminals if its short smoke come out when touched with the terminals

Nope. Brand new battery. No corrosion. No smoke. yes. It must be something direct connect to the battery. Just had a new coil installed.

1,415

you ll need to verify the "alt checks out". the alt is directly connected to the battery and needs good diodes in order to not drain the battery -- if you mean that your alt is putting out 14+ V -- thats only one test, it also must not drain the battery. I would unhook that alt and see if your battery still drains down

Easy enough. I'll do that and report back.

545

Also check the cables that goes to the starter.It could b one of the wires that comes from there can short out with no sign .You can disco neck the pos. cable to see of that works. Also check the starter for a drag n the solenoid for power draw good luck