I have a 2001 Cabrio and every now and then it will just die.

Asked by Feb 27, 2014 at 08:18 PM about the 2001 Volkswagen Cabrio 2 Dr GL Convertible

It happened a bit last summer and my mechanic said the battery plugs were loose.
They tightened and cleaned off the battery and everything was fine. It is happening
again. After driving for 40 minutes on the highway it staled in the middle of town while I
was slowing down. It boosted fine but a couple days later it died again, twice in one
day, but both times it will boost fine. We have done scans and my battery and
alternator are fine so what else could be wrong?

40,535

My daughters Cabriolet was kind of doing the same thing. Would run great, then it wouldn't start for anything. Jump it, it would run for a day or two and then die again. Load tested battery, and all was good. Couldn't figure it out. Finally, replaced the battery. Guess what? Problem solved! Don't believe the tests. Not always true. If your battery is over 5 years old, it may be on it's way out. Do you know how old your battery is?

It is most definitely at least three years old, my old question is because the shop said that my battery is fine. :S

40,535

When the car is running, have someone put a volt meter on the output side of your alternator. See if it is putting out something close to 14 volts. If not, your alternator may be going bad or your voltage regulator may be bad. When your car dies, have you noticed the battery light coming on right before it stalls out? Does this seem to happen more often when you turn on your headlights? Another issue may be that your fuel pump is becoming intermittent. The car is 13 year old. Is it still the original fuel pump?