I just acquired a VW Cabrio 2000. There is a box in my trunk (on the left side) I was told this was to lubricate the convertible roof.

Asked by Apr 10, 2012 at 01:29 PM about the 2000 Volkswagen Cabrio GL FWD

I just acquired a VW Cabrio 2000. There is a box in my trunk (on the left side) I was told this was to lubricate the convertible roof. Is there a specific oil or liquid I need to put in there for it to work properly.
THANK YOU !!! :)

3,695

Yes you could put hydraulic fluid in it.

It contains the motor and hydraulic pump for the power top. If the fluid level is OK, you'll probably never even have to do anything with this box at all. I had to open it up because the motor on my roof started to die, and I needed to manually release the hydraulic pump so I can raise and lower the top by hand. Basically what you'll find inside the box is the hydraulic pump, the motor, and a counterweight. That's really all.