1999 VW Cabrio Just had clutch replaced - self adjusting clutch

Asked by Feb 09, 2012 at 08:37 PM about the 1999 Volkswagen Cabrio 2 Dr GLS Convertible

I just had the clutch replaced and the new clutch goes down to about 2 inches off the
floor before you get any resistance and then hardly any.  The mechanic says it's a
self-adjusting clutch and it's "supposed to be that way"  Does this make sense to
anyone?  I've had the car for five years and it was never like this before and it just
doesn't seem right at all.  

2,475

No it is not right ,these cars use a self adjusting clutch cable,if the adjusting mechanism was not secured properly before being removed then it has come undone internally,best bet is to replace it with a new cable,they can be reset ,however if who did the clutch did not have the experience to secure it before removal then best to replace it with new