front seat reclining at will

Asked by Oct 06, 2011 at 04:00 PM about the 1999 Volkswagen Cabrio 2 Dr GLS Convertible

the front passenger seat is reclining with pressure.  Dealer says I have to replace the whole seat.  Is that true?

OKAY found out the answer to my question. If anyone else has this problem the answer is you either replace the entire seat or find someone who knows how to take the frame out of parts car and put your seat on the frame. My gear is broken and my local guy has a parts car with a good frame that will fit my seat. He's giving me the frame and is going to put my seat on it which will take him 2-2.5 hours. So he's charging me $200-250 for the labor. Not bad since the cheapest quote I got to replace the seat (leather, heated with the air bag in it) was $350.