1999 cabrio transmission

Asked by Sep 11, 2011 at 09:28 PM about the 1999 Volkswagen Cabrio 2 Dr GLS Convertible

how does one check transmission fluid or how does one add fluid. my trans is slipping and I know it sounds stupid but I can't find a way to check fluid. I would really appreciate an answer.
Love this car .

120

I JUST CHANGED TRANS FLUID IN MY 2000 CABRIO AUTOMATIC TRANS HERE HOW TO REPLACE TRANS FILTER AND PAN GASKET AND REFILE. FIRST REMOVE PAN GUARD 4 BOLTS WITH 17 MM WRENCH, 2nd ON BOTTOM OF TRANS PAN OPEN DRAIN PLUG WITH ELAN WRENCH 3 1/16 3rd TRANS PAN 4 BOLTS 10MM, PAN WILL HAVE FLUID IN IT SO HOLD LEVEL CHANGE FILTER PART# FK 325, OR FRAM FT1186 $15.99. CLEAN PAN REINSTAL FILTER AND PAN ABOVE THE PAN UNDER STARTER THERE IS A BREATHER PLASTIC WITH CAP ON IT RE MOVE CAP AND FILL TRANS WITH TRAN FLUID FROM VW DEALER PART # G 050 162 A2 . IT TAKES 4 LITER AT $19.95 PER LITER FILL 3 CANS FIRST START THE ENGINE IN PARK, RUN TILL GET HOT ADD THE REST PUT THE CAP BACK ON AND DRIVE AWAY:)

2,535

A lot of new transmissions are more or less "permanent seal" and not equipped with a level gauge, though some will have a plug on the side that you can pull and fill the trans until fluid is just up to the bottom of the inspection plug to where it just begins to drain out, then reinstall.....just the same way you would a rear differential, but this is not always the case. A pan drain and fill or pan drop and filter replacement, as mentioned above, would be advisable in your case....BUT slippage may be a sign of a larger problem, bear that in mind.