99 volkswagen cabrio GLS Convertible

10

Asked by Apr 27, 2011 at 01:11 PM about the 1999 Volkswagen Cabrio 2 Dr GLS Convertible

i just bought a 99 cabrio GLS Convertible,it has 117k.No problems except the power top is not power(dealer said it cost a fortune to fix power mechanism)My ? is how many miles are these cars capable of if well cared for.Anyone got 1 with 350k on it?

85

the power top can be repaired at home if the plastic gear inside the pump, has been stripped out, you can order it from a vw dealership about $65.00 an then you have to purchase new special fluid which was $23.00, my husband researched the internet an found the acutual breakdown of the pump,up have a library has lots of good info to.

85

this can be repaired at home if the motor works on the hydrlic pump then inside there is a round plastic gear see if it is broke cost for the gear is 65.00, special fluid is 23.00 my husband repaired mine

5

We have an 85 in my driveway that has over 700k on it and still going. We just got a 2001 model to replace the 85 because it is my kids car that she will be taking to college. So we now have the 85 up for sale as we have no use for it. The 85 we have has only ever had 2800 worth of work put into it, it is in need of a throttle bolt right now but it runs great without replacement .. hope this helps with your how long do they run question.

5

Oh on your power top make sure you are running proper steps to raise and lower the car must be in park with the parking break up before the button will even act like it is working. My dealer that sold me the 2001 gave it to me at a steal because they thought the top didn't work. After signing the papers and paying we pulled up the parking break and lowered the top and drove away with a 2001 with 72k miles on it for 2k... Not all dealers know how to deal with or care for a convertible top even if they are the manufacturers dealer. If the break doesn't work check out the book for the car and there are places where you can buy new tops for 6-800 and the gears are cheap as well 65$ or less. The top on a convertible is only expected to last 10 years anyway so if you still have one that doesn't leak consider yourself lucky.

can you tell me where he found the gear?

85

you can purchase the gear at vw service department , they had to order ours its about 65.00 my husband researched how to repair it on the internet an saved us alot of money :)

85

you can search ebay an i have seen used pumps for less than 200.00 dealers dont have all the answers lol

Hi! I have owned a couple of cabrios, an 80, a 99, and currently a 2001. In the trunk near the left wheel are is the pump for the electric top, when mine failed, there is a switch where you can disable the power top and make it a manual top. You have to get out of the car anyway to lock the top down, so I just made mi e a manual top :D try it! It will save you money!