How do I lift the rear seat?

25

Asked by Apr 03, 2011 at 08:31 PM about the 1999 Volkswagen Cabrio 2 Dr GLS Convertible

How do I fold down the rear seat?

1,545

I don't think the seats fold down in the MK4 convertible, but if they did the top of the seat near the window there would be a small flat lever to pull up. I think there may be a small section in the middle of your rear seat that folds down like a arm rest for the rear passengers, if you have that part fold it down and in behind it should be a plastic door that will also fold down allowing you to put ski's or stuff of that nature in the back.

215

If you open the trunk you will see a black "button" it is near the top of the trunk. just pull it and it will release the back seat

1,545

since when did volkswagen make a "button" in the back to fold down seats ? is this just Cabrio only setup ? I've seen GM's like you discribed but never in a vdub.

25

Thanks for responding. The rear seat back folds down, but how do you lift up the rear seat?

1,545

on the bottom of the seat where it meets the carpet about 6-8 inches in from the outside (closest to the window) push in and downwards with both hands then lift up, some of them are difficult to unlock but you should feel resistance once the seat moves in about an inch it should lift up then.

25

Jon: Thanks again. Below the front of the seat bottom there is a bracket that resembles a hinge. I would think that lifting the seat bottom from the rear would allow me to pull the seat up and then lower the rear part of the seat and make a flat surface for luggage, etc. I can't seem to find anyway to lift the bottom of the seat and pull it forward. Any ideas? Thanks again, Don Schick

1,545

oh sorry man, that actually sounds like the same set up in the MK2 Golfs, your right the bottom of the seat does flip up/hinged from the front bottom, grab the seat from the front and pull up you will see it pop up and it should then flip forward back part flipping upwards to mate with the front seats, then the back of the seat will flip down, should be a small knob at top of seat to release the seat. The cabrio's are different maybe like the other user had mentioned the release may be in the back of the trunk (I've never owned a cabrio). Hope that helps

25

Thanks Jon you are a great communicator. I'll try this and see what happens. Thanks again.

80

Hi there, I own a VW Cabrio GLS Conv. There is a knob on the top right of the trunk. Pull that to release the back of the seat. The bottom of the back seat flips up toward the front seats just by pulling up on the back of the seat.

Hello On my vw convertable there is a plate each side of the back seat with a bolt holding the back seat and have to be removed before you can release the seat and i cant find the correct socket to undo them. Any ideas?