Transmision problem

Asked by Jun 18, 2015 at 05:37 PM about the 1999 Volkswagen Cabrio 2 Dr GL Convertible

transmission makes no  appropriate changes and the light from the dash on the
transmission light doesn't show anything when I change the gear.

19,845

OK, this is a manual transmission? Are you talking about the light that tells you when to shift? All else is working fine, clutch is engaging and car does mesh gears? Could this possibly be just an electronic failure with the indicator light?

Best Answer

Markw1952 Sorry is automatic transmission

19,845

Thanks for the "best answer " response. So, it's an automatic transmission and everything else is working fine except for the light? I would just drive the car and not worry about it.

Thank you for you prompt response.The issue is the transmission stuck in the second gear.

9,605

if your having tran issues it could just be low on fluid or have been driving it low on fluid. its a old car and the old 96-2001 modals are all the same and had a number of small trany issues by this time in there life. have the fluid checked at a certified vw/audi shop and hopefully its just low fluid. Have them check the seals cause your seals will be the most likely culprit for fluid loss.

Deathjam4 thank you, also I wash the engine in the car wash you do think will be any eletrical issue ??

9,605

if you use a power washer under the hood with car wash solvents and grease cleaners its altogether possible you got water in something like a electrical harness or even a computer unit. i never usually recommend in power washing under the hood or engine because it can damage something very easily in an older car. and certain cleaners can dry out plastics and rubbers and cause vacuum issues. when you get some time go threw all your wireing harnses and plugs and check for moisture and breaks, check all the vacum lines for the same. Check the coils and spark plug wires as well as the air intake system as well as the ECU box. ussaly these older cars vaporize the water in due quick course but that doesnt mean a wire is not cracked or frayed. Check all your transmission harneses and plugs as well since that seems to be the main issue but also do my first suggestion. I would change the trany fluid right out with new if you have not done it in over 60k this can also solve minor trany issues.

9,605

Your sitting on one of two things maybe three 1. the cars got an electrical fault. 2. the car has a trany issue which means trany replacement. 3. could be a dif bearing or a something simple like a harness shorted out.

Deathjam4... Awesome thank you so much. Really appreciate buddy.