1999 VW Cabrio. The car is locked and the key won't turn in the lock. It works in the trunk fine, can't get into the car. Help?

Asked by Nov 25, 2014 at 06:16 PM about the 1999 Volkswagen Cabrio 2 Dr GL Convertible

1999 VW Cabrio. The car is locked and the key won't turn in the lock. It works in the trunk
fine, can't get into the car. Help?

7,815

just crawl in threw your trunk if it works there. Do you have any other keys for the vehicle? i would try them if you do.

thanks,, 2 sets of keys, both work the trunk, not the doors.

7,815

good question is does the keys work the ignition ? cause if not it would indicate the trunk was replaced at some point and they were lazy and left the old lock in and gave the person the keys to the new trunk and said this key works for that.

I was able to get into the car. Coat hanger through window. Now the alarm won't stop. Key does turn the ignition but it won't start. Disconnected the battery to stop alarm. Called VW Service, their books only go back to 2004.

95

Take the VIN # and go to VW. You can get keys made that way.

I would understand if it was one key.,.. there are 2 keys that no longer work in the door. They did at one time. Doesnt make sense to get new keys.. I am thinking they will have to replace the lock.

95

I once had one made for a spare and it worked in the door just fine, but wouldn't start the car! Is it an original VW key?

pretty sure original key.

95

Does it have VW on it?