My 1999 vw cabrio alarm started to sound and now my car will not start. my key doesnt work when I purchased the car my lock on the driver side is disfuntional, how do I reset my anti theft to start my

Asked by Jul 07, 2013 at 10:38 AM about the 1999 Volkswagen Cabrio 2 Dr GL Convertible

I have been looking at various websites and if the security/anti theft system has been 'locked' it needs the ECM and/or PCM to be re programmed. ECM being Electronics Control Module and PCM is Powertrain Control Module. IF that is what happened, you have to have a scan tool. Maybe you know somebody that has one you can borrow? Then: Plug the cord from the scan tool into the diagnostic port, located below the steering column toward the driver's door. Turn the ignition switch to "ON." Press the power button on the scan tool if it does not come on automatically. Press the "scan" or "codes" button on the scan tool if the scan does not start automatically. Press the "clear" or "reset" button on the scan tool to reset the codes for both the ECM and PCM computer modules.

24,875

You might need a new drivers side outer door lock. I seem to remember using the key to not only unluck the door but also to reset the system after an alarm has been triggered. Also you said you drivers side lock is not fuctioning which would seem to coincide with you no start issue. Good luck.