Asked by May 18, 2011 at 11:23 AM about the 1999 Volkswagen Cabrio 2 Dr GL Convertible

I bought my 1999 volkswagen cabrio about a year ago. I was driving yesterday and everytime i hit the gas, it would shut off on me. It started back up and then shut off as soon as i hit the gas, etc..until i finally pulled over and got a ride. I went back and the car woudln't start at all. It clearly was not dead, everything was working, it just didn't want to start. I changed the coil and wiring and I know it is not the fuel pump. The car does start now but makes a very loud noise and is still a little rough to drive. Anyone ever have the same problem? I am thinking the timing belt but any other ideas?

check the vacuum hose, we have a 2001 and had the same issue when we got it, only to find out that the hose had a crack. It had fallen onto the alternator and the alternator blade rubbed a hole/ crack in the hose.

Sounds like a coil. Remember to reset the car after installing. Not too expensive of a repair. Don't buy a cheap coil. A step up from the cheapest will do.

Mass air flow sensor. May need to factory reset the car. That's all mine needed after the coil replacement. Acted the same way.