My 1998 VW cabrio leaks water where the left latch connects with the frame. The window does not seem to go up far enough. The top is in great shape. How can I fix this problem?

Asked by Jun 23, 2013 at 01:08 PM about the 1998 Volkswagen Cabrio 2 Dr GLS Convertible

I just bought a 1998 VW cabrio convertable.  It looks great.  The top looks new and clean without any tears or discolorations and it opens and closes with the button.  I took it through an automatic car wash on its basic wash.  Water poured onto me from the top left latch where it meets the window and frame.  The latch locks into place.  The window does not seem to go up as far as the other side.  There are no other leaks.  What should I do?  How do I fix this? Also, the engine started to smoke alittle after I pulled out of the auto wash?  Plus, Is there something to apply to the top to preserve or protect it?

convertibles will leak- the tops deteriorate over time, the mechanisms get worn- even if a new top is fitted it has to be the right one to fit properly- factory or equal- don't cheap out- and done by someone who knows what they are doing- otherwise- water in your lap- get used to it- and wash it by hand- it's the high price of being cool

Thank you for the info. I know convertible tops wear down over time and pieces are worn away and leaks happen, but when I look at both passenger and driver side windows, the passenger window is clearly up about 1 n a half inches higher than the drivers side window and the passenger side does not leak? I watch the passenger window go up and fit snugly into the conv. top and frame, but the driver's side window stops alittle short and there is that 1 n a half inch gap left open. In any way, could just the window be the problem??

If one window is rolling up shorter than the other, that IS a problem- by the way, don't take a convertible through the automatic car wash- wash by hand and apply some kind of vinyl conditioner when you are done- one other tip for maintaining a soft top- do not lock your doors when leaving your car- a thief will just slash the top with a knife, reach in and unlock the door and rummage through your car- then, in addition to losing whatever you had in your car, you will have to buy a new top, too- leave nothing in your car you cannot afford to lose- why do manufacturers even put door locks on convertibles?

LOL! It never struck when I would lock the door that a thief could just rip the top, but I did install a better alarm system, so maybe I would still have my stuff, but my top would be shredded. Thanks.