1998 VW Cabrio won't start

5

Asked by Mar 21, 2013 at 04:58 PM about the 1998 Volkswagen Cabrio 2 Dr GL Convertible

My 1998 VW Cabrio is not starting.  They replaced the spark plugs, distributor and rotor, ignition coil,
crankshaft sensor, and ignition switch.  It cranks and turns over but then shutters and dies.
They tested the fuel pump and fuel pressure which are all fine.  it is throwing two codes:
00750 which they said won't keep it from running and 17990 -Idle adaptation at limit.  I have read that
people cleaned the throttle body to fix this.  My question is, if the throttle body is dirty will it cause this
problem or am I better off looking into ECM problems?

4,565

What engine and OBD level please?

5

2.0 4 cylinder-5 speed Manual I am not sure what you mean by OBD Level but I am guessing the answer you are looking for is OBDII?

4,565

Just went through similar problem with 1996 GIT 2.0 The crank position sensor ring (mounted to rearmost lobe of crank) had become detached from the crank! Had to drop the oilpan to check that one.

5

They replaced the crankshaft sensor...Is the ring near? I will have it looked at. I suppose they could have missed it on installation.

4,565

If you're dealing with non-VW mechs, they won't know about it. My VW guy had to pull the distributor completely out and use a borescope to peer into the crank space. We had replaced plugs, coil, distro, ECU, crank sensor, throttle body and airflow meter. I hope it isn't the problem with your Cabrio...it was very expensive to find and fix.

5

Oh gosh, I hope it isn't the problem either, but it is still a possibility.