1998 VW Cabrio starts in cold then stalls and won't turn over

Asked by Jan 23, 2013 at 10:31 AM about the 1998 Volkswagen Cabrio 2 Dr GL Convertible

It's been really cold here for the past month.  Yesterday, my car started just fine but I didn't let it warm up long enough.....went to store, and when I tried to re-start it, it wouldn't turn over.  Jumped it but it still wouldn't start.   Kept trying and it finally started.  Let it warm up for about 15 minutes and drove to work.  Car started OK at the end of the day but check engine light flashed on for a second but didn't stay on.  This morning, it's still really cold....3 degrees.  Started car and got out to let it warm up but it stalled and then wouldn't re-start, just not seeming to turn over.  Could it be fuel pump or something more weather related.

30

There could be some water in your fuel lines which the temp is causing to freeze I would add a fuel treatment try the stuff called ( heet) it should work if that's the problem

1,325

Before you spend too much time on other stuff - Make sure your battery cables are clean and tight. Maybe take them off and clean the connection between the battery terminal and cable end. This minor detail can do what you are describing and costs very little to check first.