Why won't my Vw Cabrio start

15

Asked by Nov 11, 2012 at 09:45 PM about the 1998 Volkswagen Cabrio 2 Dr GL Convertible

It's a manual 2.0, daily driver. I drove
it around town, to work and back
home and all of a sudden will not
crank or click. The battery has power,
lights radio etc.. I tried to jump it and
nothing happened. I also took the
terminals off the batteries and
cleaned them up. Still the same...
Any suggestions on what to try next?

105

My similar problems started like that. When I turned the key, nothing happened. Would aso not take a jump. Replaced iginition switch in the column and all way well, A couple months later it would start sometimes and sometimes not. It would eventually start if I kept trying.. Had someone hit the starter lightly with a wrench while I was trying to turn it over and it worked. So I replaced the starter A couple months later and I started having problems, Took it to a small reputable service station in town and he checked the battery and the readout said replace, so I did. One year later, I am not having any more starting issues. I love my 98..

2,905

it sounds loke a starter engine problem. you'll need to take it off and test it. try with a cable from the plus of the battery to the + contact on the starter. if it cranks the starter is damaged.

15

I've tried everything I could think of.. I had it pushed down the road and put it in gear and drove it to the shop.

105

Let us know what they find. Might be helpful to someone else in the future...

15

My starter was completely dead, had no power whatsoever. I replaced it for $107 bucks and it seems to be working fine now.

30

I am having the same problem right now. Replaced the starter motor and still nothing.