Check engine light and broken exhaust

10

Asked by Jan 21, 2009 at 10:35 AM about the 1998 Volkswagen Cabrio 2 Dr GL Convertible

The other day, my exhaust broke right under the center console.  It had been loose before but then we fixed that, I just think that with the cold it couldnt take it anymore. Now today, I was driving around and the check engine light came on.  The last time that it came on, my alternator died on me and left me stranded.  Could the light be because of the exhaust being messed up and things not flowing the way that they should?  Any troubleshooting tips?  I know that about 20 billion things could be wrong causing that to happen. Thanks for the help!

345

Yes they will almost postively be related. If you broke at the flex piece then your rear 02 sensor will be getting incorrect readings, which in turn will set off the light.

35

My "check engine" light went on a number of times in the first few years after having purchased the car. I must have gone back to the dealership at least a half dozen times to see what was up with it. Turns out that nothing was wrong. The VW computer re-set something in the car, and it was fine again. I don't know to this day what was going on. Car's been fine since...only problem that I have now is that the body is rusting away! My fault, maybe because I live in Minnesota, the roads of often salted due to the amount of snow that we get, and I have rarely washed the car in the wintertime. :-(

is it loud? if so, most def a disconnected cat