i have 1997 cabrio nèeds a paint job

Asked by Mar 18, 2013 at 09:49 PM about the 1997 Volkswagen Cabrio 2 Dr Highline Convertible

It needs a paint job and new muffler with the bars down on the bottom the guys that did
it did not do it right it rattles bad
Is it worth it

You must answer this yourself. Are you confident that you can pick up and drive to...say Cleveland to visit the rock and roll museum one day? Confidence in your ride is everything and I have loved to death each of my VW's but all had irreconcilable problems...If you love this machine, nothing in the world will change your mind. Earl Schieb...will paint any car!

10

New exhaust hangers are a lot cheaper than a new car.Are you sure it's the muffler rattling? It could be the heat shields or some thing else.If you can,look under your car,lay on the ground (put something down first if you don't want to be on the ground or driveway) grab your tail pipe and give it a shake.You should be able to see it moving if it is loose enough to be making all the noise you are hearing.If it doesn't move or you don't hear anything when you do this,it could be some of the aluminum heat shields are loose.they will rattle when the engine is running and when you hit a bump.May be something as simple as needing a couple of new rubber exhaust hangers,easy to fix and not expensive.As for your paint. Beware if you get a cheap (a super deal you can't believe) paint job,It may lookok for a while but when it starts to fade ,peel ,crack ,blister ,or any of the many things that go wrong with cheap paint jobsnot only will your car be ugly again,you are going to have to paint it again.You could get one of those vynal wrap jobs they are putting on cars now.But I don't have experience with them so ,I do not know the cost or how long they last.Personally I would rather drive my VW needing a paint job,than something else just because it looks better than mine. I drove a 67 Type-1 (Beetle) in primer for three years until I could save the money to get it painted the way and colour I wanted. And YES, it was totally worth it. (o\_I_/o) VW...Invest In Precious Metal.