I am having a problem starting my 97' VW Cabrio after stalling it with the door open. It will not turn over, and I know the battery is good. There is something up with the security system, but I can not override it because I do not have a drivers side lock cylinder. Any other suggestions? I have also disconnected the battery.

Asked by Mar 29, 2015 at 12:25 PM about the 1997 Volkswagen Cabrio 2 Dr STD Convertible

1,675

If you don't have a drivers door lock cylinder, use the cylinder in the passengers door or the trunk to unlock the car; that should reset the alarm.

I did that! I tried every possible combination of opening my door. Any other suggestions I'm in such a bind.

1,675

Sometimes the wiring that goes to the lock mechanisms gets cracked and broken inside their boots, near where the door hinges. You might try, also, to check with a test light that current goes to the switched side of the ignition coil when the key is turned on. If it does, see if the current is still present while the key is in the start/crank position. You tried unlocking the pass door twice with the key, to disable alarm?

Best Answer Mark helpful

Thanks so much I will have to try that! I appreciate it.